These days it seems like I am having a bad hair day, EVERYDAY! Since I started nursing my little peanut, my hair has been falling out in clumps, yes clumps! At first it really freaked me out, but after some research and a panic call to my Dr., I learned that this is completely normal for nursing mothers…Annoying but normal! Well, now all these little hairs are starting to regrow and they are small, they stick straight up and are annoying.
As I was discussing these frustrations with my Stroller Strides running partners, they started naming off suggestions to help! One suggestion that came up and stuck was Coconut Oil. I thought it was interesting, simple and I had it in my cupboard so that I could start right away. When I got home, I grabbed the coconut oil and went to town. At the end of the process and after a much-needed shower, my hair felt AweMazing, salon AweMazing! I have been doing this treatment once a week for a few weeks now and each week I get better results. My hair is softer, shinier and I even think my hair is growing faster, it’s like miracle grow for hair. At this rate, these new little baby hairs will soon be long lush layers that blow in the ocean breeze! I can dream right?
Here are the steps for my new favorite deep conditioning treatment:
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Shower Cap (or Plastic Bag)
- Take approximately 2 TBS of Coconut Oil (note: amount will vary depending on hair length) and rub in your hands to make smooth oil. Apply to dry hair avoiding the roots and concentrating on the ends.
- Clip your hair on top of your head.
- Run your towel under hot water and place in microwave for 30 seconds. The heat from the towel will help the oil penetrate the hair
- Wrap the warm towel on your head and cover with shower cap (or plastic bag) to seal in the heat. Let sit for at least 45 minutes, I like to go a little longer like an hour and if I have time 2 hours! Hey you have some DVR to catch up on right?
- Rinse hair with shampoo (I wash my hair twice to make sure all the oil is out) and conditioner.
- Style and feel the silkiness of your gorgeous hair…AWEMAZING!